Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Silence

Silence can be uncomfortable.  As I write this I am half tempted to have the radio on.  Tempted is actually the perfect word to describe my feelings right now.  Lately I have realized how I do not need to have the radio on all the time.  My brain is on sensory overload and being busy does not mean you are closer to God. In my opinion when our pursuit for God becomes real and from the heart it is when we are at perfect peace with silence.

In this silence we can quiet our ego and even negative thoughts to allow God's thoughts and ideas to take over.  Only a foolish child keeps talking and does not allow their parent to respond.  That is being disrespectful when we behave that way.  I will be the first to admit I have been caught in that trap.

Does silence make you uncomfortable??  I know I use to feel uncomfortable within the silence not knowing where my thoughts would lead to.  If we are really pursuing God we do not have to worry about these fears.

"Whoever will listen will hear the speaking Heaven.  This is definitely not the hour when men take kindly to an exhortation to listen, for listening is not today a part of popular religion.  We are at the opposite end of the pole from there.  Religion has accepted the monstrous heresy that noise, size, activity and bluster make a man dear to God.  But we may take heart.  to a people caught in the tempest of the last great conflict god says, "Be still and know that i am God." and still He says it as if He means to tell us that our strength and safety lie not in noise but in silence."  
-A.W. Tozer  The pursuit of God

No comments:

Post a Comment