Sunday, March 4, 2012

City on a Hill

I am not sure if you have days and weeks like I do.  I have these supernatural experiences of hearing about a particular subject over and over.  It gets to the point where I have to drop what I am doing and just start writing.
This week and especially today I kept hearing lyrics and phrases and even speakers of "City on a Hill".  Then I kept reading about these cities of ruin versus cities on a hill in the book of Isaiah.  Honestly I just thought it was a made up phrase by Christians.  Not that that is bad, just interesting to me.  

Then I did some further digging to what this city on a hill was all about.

In Matthew 5:14, he tells his listeners, "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden."



One of the more recent references I could find was from President Ronald Regan:
President Ronald Reagan used the image as well, in his 1984 acceptance of the Republican Party nomination[3] and in his January 11, 1989, farewell speech to the nation:
...I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it and see it still....[4]

My question is are you the "city on the hill" or are you apart of the "city of Ruin" mentioned in Isaiah 25?

No comments:

Post a Comment